All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.(2 Timothy 3:16-17 ESV)
Below is the method of reading your bible I discussed during this morning’s sermon. It is simple, practical and very useful for devotional reading as well as in depth study.
SUMMARIZE THE SCRIPTURE (Scripture in a sentence).
In a sentence and in your own words, what is the scripture about?
1. What does it say?
- Context, genre, general Big Idea of text.
- Reporter questions. (who, what, when, where, why, how?)
- Literary devices (repeated words, play on words, punctuation, etc.)
2. What does it mean?
- What does it reveal about God? What does it reveal about you?
- Where does it reveal your need for grace and God’s provision of the gospel?
- How does it reveal the Gospel?
3. Why does it matter?
- Why does it matter for you? (What does this truth reveal? About your Hope, About your Identity,About your Mission)
- Why does it matter for the world?
APPLICATION: (Apply the scripture to your life.)
- Significant words to remember, memorize, etc.
- Promises to hold on to.
- Examples to follow or avoid.
- Commands to Obey.
- Sins to Confess.
- Praise Him
- Remember, Respond, Repent (Return to him.)
- Appreciate Him.
- Your Needs/Requests, etc.